Sunday, March 27, 2016

THE LAID BACK PISSED OFF DUALITY

Man. Neil Young. He and I go way back. The first record of his I bought was Harvest, after hearing "Heart of Gold" on the radio a zillion times. Kids are like that. For whatever reason, I happened to get sick to my stomach right when I got home from the record store. I decided to listen to it anyway. Big mistake. Ever since then, every time I hear anything from that LP, I think about how shitty I felt, with the exception of "Heart of Gold". I already had associations with that song prior to hearing the LP, so it remained free of that upset stomach patina.



There's no denying Neil Young has made some stinkers. I refuse to coddle him, or any other artist for that matter, those days are gone. If he makes something that sucks, fine for him, I ain't buying it. No hard feelings. But, he's kept my interest and respect for decades, even with intermittent crap. Hell yeah, I'll give him a pass. His discography is so deep in good shit, inconsistent as it can sometimes be, that I'll never get around to all of it.



Here's a couple of my favorites and some assorted oddballs. I gotta say, the documentary on the making of The Monsanto Years was much better than I expected it would be. He's backed by Promise of the Real, a band that includes two of Willie Nelson's sons. The kids seem to get it. And check the video of Tom Jones with Crosby, Stills, Nash  and Young, doing "Long Time Gone". Neil Young on guitar with Tom Jones singing, never thought I'd live to see the day. Jones belts that one out, pushing Stephen Stills to the limit of his vocal capabilities. And Young looks possessed.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand mp3 at Our Music Project
Neil Young - Down By the River mp3
at I Am Fuel You Are Friends
Neil Young - Revolution Blues mp3
at Essentially Eccentric
Neil Young - Heart of Gold mp3
at ATumblr (?) Mellow
Video:
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Down By the River (TV)
at YouTube
Tom Jones with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Long Time Coming
at YouTube
Neil Young & Promise of the Real - The Monsanto Years
at Yahoo Music An hour long

No comments: