Monday, October 27, 2014

FROM RUSSIA WITH REVERB

I don't know much at all about Messer Chups, but they got my attention about ten years ago. I heard them in a record store, and I remember stopping one of the guys there and asking who it was. I put them on the mental list of bands to check out, and they were quickly buried, There's only so much room on that list. So, I didn't know anything about them, and had never seen a photo of them, or even a record or CD cover, They popped into my head a few days ago, and dang me if they don't kind of fit in with all of these Halloween cop-out posts of late.

They're a weird mix. There's a ton of surf type guitar, liberal reverb, some theremin, and dialog from old B-movies all over the place. They're from Russia, have a bunch of stuff out, and a fetching bass player, who I swear I had never laid eyes on until after my interest was piqued. Just check these, a couple of them in a mix would break things up nicely. Let's see, Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together", followed by a random Messer Chups, and then Black Flag's "My War". Yeah, that's the ticket.



Your hipster stumping factoid: the theremin player on these, Lydia Kavina, apparently renowned, has been playing since age nine and is the granddaughter of Léon Theremin's first cousin. How's your Pabst taste now?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Messer Chups - Vamp Babes mp3 at Slap Press
Messer Chups - Instro Monster Cresendo mp3
at Internet Archive
Messer Chups - Orgia of the Dead mp3
at Internet Archive
Messer Chups - Devil Exit From Fashion mp3
at Internet Archive
Messer Chups - Midnight Preacher mp3
at Far From Moscow

No comments: