Saturday, September 7, 2013

THE TORCH IS FLICKERING

Man, oh man, I ran into Bunker Hill's "The Girl Can't Dance" and, after remembering how much Nick Curran's "Baby You Crazy" sounded like it, it was getting close to sob city over here. Curran died last fall, of mouth cancer. He had one of the best, if not the best, rock 'n' roll voices of the past several decades. Admittedly subjective, but I like raw. If I had one criticism, it's that he could stand a guitar tone adjustment. But that's like looking at Raquel Welch's knees. That voice, though, he's right up there with with Gerry Roslie (the Sonics), Little Richard, Don and Dewey and, yes, Bunker Hill. I know I've said it before. Hell, I've posted about him a half a dozen times. But, who has a better rock 'n' roll voice these days? The sorry thing is that he was young enough (35) that he had still had years of music in him. His last LP, "Reform School Girl", included two of the best pure rock 'n' roll songs I've heard in a long while, "Baby You Crazy" and "Kill My Baby". Seriously, if someone hasn't already put those two out on a 45, it needs to be done. I gotta go make some calls.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Nick Curran and the Low Lifes- Kill My Baby mp3 at KEXP.org
Nick Curran - Doctor Velvet mp3 at dl.dropboxusercontent.com(?)
Bunker Hill - The Girl Can't Dance mp3 at Secret Comics
Nick Curran and the Low Lifes - Reform School Girl (streaming) at Electro Groove

No comments: