Wednesday, November 28, 2012

MATLOCK TIME

I used to live in a granny flat behind a married couple, the parents of some kids that had been a few years behind me in school. I was in my late twenties. The couple were into many cool things. Swimming, Dixieland jazz, scuba diving, and abalone chili rellonos. There was one thing I could never figure out. They used to watch either Matlock, or Murder She Wrote, or both; I forget which, but it was a regular thing. My Mom was into them too. Regardless, it was common thought back then that those shows were made for that age demographic. I wasn't expected to get it.



When I saw the video above, I wanted to be bowled over by it. Johnny Winter and Leslie West were two of my favorite guitarists back in the day. The thought of seeing them playing together hadn't even crossed my mind, that's how mind blowingly good the paring had the potential to be. Alas, it ain't that good. But, here's were Matlock comes in. I'm sure that the way I hear this song is way different than it would be to someone much younger than me. I gave Winter and West the benefit of the doubt, and listened for good parts, if only for their track records. I even had a moment were it took me back. Matlock. There are brief moments interspersed throughout where their guitar interplay works, fleeting as they may be. But that's how it was for me. Young rascals are not expected to get it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
Jimi Hendrix - If Six Was Nine mp3 at Electric Adolescence 
Mountain - Mississippi Queen mp3 at Liberty Avenue Don't bother, it's all ads 
Johnny Winter - Hustled Down In Texas mp3 at Review Stalker 
Jimi Hendrix - Three more cuts at Indie Rock Cafe Two of the five songs had broken links 
Oddball: 
Jimi Hendrix - Studio jams (2 with John McLaughlin, 6 with Johnny Winter) LP download at Rock On Vinyl (with the details and song lists).

No comments: