Friday, January 21, 2011

STONES PLAY WAYLON


Let's just get this out of the way, for you one song cherry pickers: The Stones doing "Waylon Jenning's "Bob Wills Is Still the King" live video is here. It's okay, Ron Wood plays pedal steel. Hey, I'm a card carrying Jagger-doubter, and I found it interesting. Stick around for the Wills.

I'm lame. My whole country and western lack of knowledge thing is downright embarrassing. I know the big names, and some tier two stuff, but when it gets deeper than that, I defer. I know I like 'em old, and I know I like 'em authentic. One who's both, the archetype of (the "Chuck Berry of" if you will) western swing is Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. (That always bothers me, that whole "and his" jive. Seriously, you don't own them.) My initiation to western swing was from an early 70's Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airman concert. (There you go, another "and his"! Knock it the hell off!) They were riding high on their hit cover of Johnny Bond's "Hot Rod Lincoln". A friend gave me and my brother some tickets that he won from a radio station. Of course, they played their hit, and songs that sounded a lot like it. But they also dipped into their hat and pulled out some rockabilly and some western swing (including Bob Will's biggee "San Antonio Rose"). Other than the odd rockabilly hit on the oldies station, this was my introduction to both western swing and rockabilly. Weren't the 70s great? You could get a musical education from a bunch of long haired potheads.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - San Antonio Rose mp3 at The Rising Storm
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Big Ball's In Cowtown mp3 at The Rising Storm
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - What Makes Bob Holler mp3 at The Rising Storm
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Cotton Eyed Joe mp3 at Rocky-52.net
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airman - Hot Rod Lincoln mp3 at CHS1968.com
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airman - Seeds and Stems mp3 at The Rising Storm
Watch:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Ida Red video at YouTube
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen - Everybody's Doing It video at YouTube
The Rolling Stones - Bob Wills Is Still the King (live) video at YouTube
Read:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Extensive Fan site, bios, the works

No comments: