Saturday, December 28, 2013

FUCK 'EM, HE'S IN MY HALL

Link Wray. You know what I'm talkin' about. Rock 'n' roll, right? Okay, we have that established. As you may know, Link Wray was up for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame [sic] this year and was passed over. I'm not sure what their criteria is, and I don't care. I know this: any talk about rock 'n' roll, and what is and what is not, has to throw everything out that is irrelevant. Record sales, credits, mass acceptance, era, looks, technical proficiency, output, all that shit goes out the window. All that matters is if it is rock 'n' roll. Link Wray is rock 'n' roll, in all its simple, greasy, badass glory. And those people passed him over.

Want the sting? Just two of the artists that were inducted this year are Cat Stevens and Hall and Oates. I'm not going to waste my breath going off about that, because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about as relevant to rock 'n' roll as your granny (unless she's Cordell Jackson). I won't legitimize them with the real lengthy counterpoint the issue deserves. I haven't paid attention to everone who has been inducted in the past, but even if every choice was spot on (which I guarantee you is not the case), this major fuck up should seriously negate any legitimacy they had. Link Wray's in my hall. I haven't figured out what to call it yet, but he's a first year inductee, totally.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Link Wray - Rumble mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - Run Chicken Run mp3 at A Tumblr (?)
Link Wray - Jack the Ripper mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - The Swag mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - Tijuana mp3 at Ray Carram
Link Wray - Ace of Spades mp3 at Ole Miss
Link Wray - Dixie Doodle mp3 at Joe Troiano
Robert Gordon with Link Wray - Red Hot mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - It's All Over Now Baby Blue mp3 at The Rising Storm

No comments: