Monday, December 9, 2013

THANKS ANNETTE

One reunion I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see was the very short lived Standells reunion period when original lead singer Dick Dodd rejoined them, ending last June. It was for less than a year, and it won't happen again. Dick Dodd died on November 29, a litle over a week ago. I feel like a shit for that initial thought, not getting to see Dodd. Self absorbed as it is, how could it not be? I certainly didn't know Dodd. I really didn't know much about him, other than his role in the Standells. What am I supposed to think, when the member of a band dies? Cut me some slack.


Interesting factoids about Dodd: He was an OG Mouseketeer, along side Annette Funicello, and it was Annette that sold him his first snare drum.  He was later in the Belairs ("Mr. Moto") and then Eddie and the Showmen, both of them top shelf South Bay surf bands.

The Standells' "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" is like gospel around here. I don't care if it happens that Dodd didn't sing lead on that particular song. I don't give a damn if he was the waterboy. It's just that good of a song, the subject, the lyrics, the spoken outro, the whole attitude thing they got going. The less I know from here, the better. Suck on that fact checkers.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Standells - Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White mp3 at So Many Records So Little Time
The Standells - Barracuda mp3 at Beware of the Blog
The Standells - Riot On Sunset Strip mp3 at Indie Rock Cafe
The Standells - Medication mp3 at Beware of the Blog
The Standells - Rari mp3 at The Calico Wall
Video:
The Standells - Try It at YouTube
The Standells -Dirty Water/Why Pick On Me at YouTube
Read:
The Standells at Wikipedia

No comments: