Sunday, December 1, 2013

I'M COMING OVER THERE.

Any kind of vague idea I had for what I was going to do with my night went out the window when I heard Ruth Brown's 1963 version of "(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean". Her original, from 1953 is awesome, top notch, and all that, but I've heard it many times. I wouldn't expect any artist to re-record one of their old hits and have it be as good as the original. The '63 version is killer, like the original done up "Night Train" style. Brown seems to give it a bit more oomph. It kicks ass, it truly does. The guitar solo (at 1:30) is exceedingly badass, the picking, the tone, and the brevity. It sounds like a country guy that was told to play surf guitar; that on top of a band that was told to make a song sound like "Night Train". The rest of the stuff down there is from the fifties, the era she's best known for. They're every bit as good; they just aren't the unexpected surprise that '63 one is. Man, I gotta go listen to that solo again.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ruth Brown - (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean (1963) mp3 at Warm Evenings
Ruth Brown - (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean (1953) mp3 at Atumblr (?) 
Ruth Brown - Wild Wild Young Men mp3 at Rocky 52
Ruth Brown - This Girl's Gone Rockin' mp3 at Rocky 52
Ruth Brown - St. Louis Blues mp3 at Internet Archive 
Ruth Brown - Oh What A Dream mp3 at Keep the Coffee Coming
Ruth Brown - I Don't Know mp3 at Le Mellotron
Video:
Ruth Brown - (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean at YouTube This is great. 
Visit:
Ruth Brown at Wikipedia

No comments: