Sunday, March 25, 2018

THERE'S A MINGUS AMONG US

How do you end up going from the Liverpool Five to Charles Mingus in a handful of songs? Shit like that happens to me all the time. After looking into the Liverpool Five the other day, I saw that they did a cover of "The Snake", the song that was a hit for Al Wilson. The song was written by Oscar Brown Jr. who also recorded the original version. After going back to Brown's version, I went and looked at his bio (which for some odd reason I'd never done before) where I saw that he had also written "The Work Song". Sheeiit, I love both of those songs, just about every version I've heard of either of them. I knew that Brown had recorded it but not that he written it. So it was off to check for any other odd version. I ended up finding an entirely different "Work Song" by Charles Mingus. It's live and it's very cool, all smoky and after hours 'n' shit. After that, I was off to Mingusland. And done.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: