Wednesday, November 18, 2015

HOT, EVEN WITH A PIDGEON ON HER HEAD

Before I ever heard "Comin' Home Baby", the deck was already stacked against it. It was a version by Mel Torme, known affectionately by old farts as "The Velvet Fog". Never heard the song, but my general impression of Mel Torme was that of a tame middle aged crooner on seemingly every variety show and telethon in the seventies and eighties. But because of the blog it was on (I think it was Spread the Good Word) I gave it a shot. Boy, was I wrong. It's a smooth song, so smooth that I realized that I'd been an asshole about Torme all along. So it was that the Velvet Fog entered my personal club of cool.

Here's his version and another by Sylvie Vartan; hers, smoother than smooth, and in French. Ooh la la. That's her up there, rather than Torme, because you can't throw a rock without hitting a good photo of her. Sometimes I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find an decent image of a band or artist, and the more I search, the more frustrated I get. But not with Sylvie Vartan, oh no. There's a shitload of her. Now I can spend all my inordinate time goofing off.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sylvie Vartan - Ne T'en Vas Pas mp3
at De Discos y Monstruos
Mel Torme - Comin' Home Baby mp3 at Everlast Caucaus (?)

No comments: