Thursday, July 9, 2015

HAD TO LEARN ABOUT IT ON THE STREET

There's almost always a few street musicians down by the beach near me, and they almost always suck. Sometimes it's material that blows, sometimes it's the choice of instrument, but usually it's just a lack of effort. So a smartly dressed alto sax player with chops sticks out like a sore thumb around here. As a jazz dabbler, I have to pick his brain when I get the chance. I like doing that, it reminds me of when I knew nothing about rock 'n' roll and I had to ask someone who did. The other day he asked if I'd ever seen the movie Round Midnight, that starred Dexter Gordon as a fictitious character based of the lives of Bud Powell and Lester Young. I remember hearing about the movie years ago, when I had no interest in jazz whatsoever. Never saw it. I came home and watched the trailer and it looked cool. As a dedicated tightwad, I was delighted to find out you can find it on DVD for five bucks online. That's another thing to like about jazz. It's almost always cheap. At least the Jazz 101 stuff. Where was I? Oh yeah, Dexter Gordon. Here's a few by him.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dexter Gordon - The Days of Wine and Roses mp3
at Tiki Lounge Talk
Dexter Gordon - Cheesecake mp3
at Sympositorim
Dexter Gordon - Round Midnight mp3
at Mikael Hirsch (?)
Video:
Round Midnight - Trailer at YouTube

No comments: