Tuesday, March 17, 2015

SOMETIMES IT WORKS

I wasn't originally looking for Billy Ball. Hell, I never heard of him before last night, but, man oh man, does he deserve a mention. When I visited the link for the original of "Tighten Up" that I linked to last night, there were seven covers of it, a few of them top notch, with the one by Ball and his band, the Upsetters, kicking the most ass.  So, off I was.

I didn't get far. As it turns out Billy Ball and the Upsetters didn't record a whole lot. And there's not much that could be found as far as a bio. But what I did run into were a couple he self released, the physical 45 of which has gone for as much as £4000 ($5900 US). That's according to Now Again Records, who also host the only fruitful mention I could find online. 

Ball and the Upsetters' "Tighten Up Tighter" does just that, it's Archie Bell's mob all hopped up on something. The two others are the self released cuts. Yeah baby, dig it. What DIY used to be.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Visit:
The Sissy Variations or The Queen of Funky Dances at Home of the Groove In case you're wondering about the origins of the dances known as the sophisticated sissy, sissy strut, sissy walk, and probably more sissy variations, this is as thorough as you'll find.

No comments: