Saturday, July 30, 2011

LONG TIME LISTENER


Here's a few from Rodney Bingenheimer. If you're not familiar with him, you might think they suck. If you are familiar with him, you still might think they suck. I can't say that they're all great, but I've always had a soft spot for the guy. The longer Rodney's around, the longer we have a rock n' roll diehard link of continuity. A bit of a wimpy fanboy rock n' roll diehard link of continuity, but a link nevertheless. He goes way back. The GTO's did a song called "Rodney," about him (that featured him), way back in 1969. Blondie backed him on a cover of Ronny & the Daytona's "Little GTO" in the late 70s. Runaways era Lita Ford plays on his "Let's Make the Scene." Thurston Moore and Eric Erlandson (Hole) back him on "I Hate the 90s," which is the great guitar freakout you'd expect, but with Rodney complaining about the 90s over it. It's pretty funny, actually. That said, these are novelty records, really, probably only of interest to that small slice of the pie that know who Rodney Bingenheimer is and are not completely annoyed by him.


Trailer of the film "Mayor of Sunset Strip"

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Rodney & The Tube Tops - I Hate the 90s, Tube Tops Forever/Cell Phone Madness (zip via Mediafire) at The (Formerly) Daily 7
Rodney Bingenheimer - Then I Kissed Her, Let's Make the Scene (1977) mp3s at Good Bad Music For Bad Bad Times Direct linking disbled, go there to get them
Visit:
A Man Out of Time (a long profile) at LAWeekly
Rodney Bingenheimer’s English Disco - Story of the club at StandUpShowUp
Rodney Bingenheimer at Wikipedia

2 comments:

The Social Worker said...

I recently found my birth mother and father. Well, mother. My dad died at 25, six years after I was born. But I got a yearbook of his from San Mateo High. Imagine my delight when I discovered Rodney's signature on the back cover. Apparently they were chums. As much as anything I've got to hold on to.

Tom G. said...

Nice!