Monday, July 17, 2017

BRIAN WILSON'S EPIC FART

Unrelated photo of Wilson, because it's cool.
Last night when I was hunting for clips from The Endless Summer, I ran into a song of the same name by some hip hop dude named G-Eazy. What the hell, I wasn't doing anything, so I gave it a listen. It didn't really grab me, but it was relatively imaginative with the unlikely sampling of the Beach Boy's "Good Vibrations", and not just a snippet. The song was pretty much built around it. You knew it was going to happen, all the cross genre sampling that's gone on for what, like thirty years? At least since Afrika Bambaataa started dropping Kraftwerk. But, as much as it is only so-so as a hip hop song, I came away with two things. One was a line in it :"I chopped up the Beach Boys and made it 'to a jam, cuz everything I'm not made me everything I am", That last part is killer. "Everything I'm not made me everything I am." Hell yeah, I can dig that.

The other thing I thought about is how far hip-hop has come, in general. Though I'm sure it's been done more than once before G-Eazy's lightweight jam, the only other rap song I've heard that sampled the Beach Boys was Brian Wilson's unreleased 1991 turd "Smart Girls". It's a Beach Boys fail, a Brian Wilson fail, and a rap fail all in one. Quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Though, to be fair, it's likely Eugene Landy's fault. He was Wilson's doctor at the time, completely domineering. He took over Wilson's life, feeding him pills and bad ideas. He is a permanent resident of the shit list.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
G-Eazy - Endless Summer (streaming) at YouTube
Brian Wilson - Smart Girls (streaming) at YouTube

2 comments:

McG said...

Funny you mention that lyric, because he bite it from Kanye's "everything i am" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-EAck5kH0

Tom G. said...

Which tells you how much I follow Kanye (or G-Eazy for that matter). Nevertheless, it is a good line. Thanks for giving credit where due.