Tuesday, July 4, 2017

HER FAULT

Holy hell. I ran into a cover of "Just Dropped in (to See What Condition My Condition Was In)" by Bettye Lavette again. I was wondering, if it was the template for Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' version, was there a version that Lavette's was based on, other than the hit version that Kenny Rogers and the First Edition had in 1968? So, off I went, not suspecting what a rabbit hole that one song could turn into.

I didn't end up finding one that sounded like it was the source of the arrangement for Lavette's version, but, man, did I find a lot of other versions. It was "Just Dropped In" all over the place. Here's a bunch, but by no means all of them. First Lavette's version and Jones's version, because it's their fault.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Bettye Lavette - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) mp3 at Soul Garage 1968
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Just Dropped In mp3
at Passion of the Weiss 2004
Teddy Hill and The Southern Soul - I Just Dropped In
(streaming) at YouTube The first released version, 1967
Jerry Lee Lewis -  Just Dropped In
(streaming) at YouTube Post-Sun, 1968
Mickey Newbury - Just Dropped In 
(streaming) at YouTube Newbury wrote it. Dig the sitar. 1968
Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Just Dropped In
(streaming) at YouTube The hit, 1968
Styvar Manor - Just Dropped In
(streaming) at YouTube Who are Styvar Manor? Who cares, it's got fuzz. 1970
Die Haut and Nick Cave - I Just Dropped In
(streaming) at YouTube 1988

No comments: