Saturday, February 28, 2015

GASSES ME TOO

I love whacked out music, and I don't care where it comes from. Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch LP is one whacked out record. I mean it. One you've passed the first minute and a half, and Dolphy starts starts his all over the place routine, you know it's going to get ten kinds of crazy. Apparently it's regarded as a free jazz classic, but I'm no judge. I really don't know shit about jazz. It just makes me twitch and not much music can do that. You non-jazz people, poo-poo it if you must. If you think of it as punk rock jazz, you won't have to put on a dinner jacket. Come to think of it, there are parts that remind me of James Chance. Regardless, it's what I'm listening to, and tonight I'm lazy.

Here's the opening cut, "Hat and Beard" with the initial wig out coming at about 1:27. "Straight Up and Down" is down there because Dolphy said of it "This one reminds me of a drunk walking, straight up and down I call it. It gasses me that everyone was so free." Anyone who intentionally makes a record to sound like a drunk automatically gains entrance here.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: