Sunday, November 30, 2014

MEET SHIRLEY SCOTT

A jazz organist who's not named Jimmy? Yeah, I know, there's shitloads of them, but I don't know much about jazz, so Jimmy Smith and Jimmy McGriff are about the extent of my knowledge in that category. (Throw a beer can at me and be done with it.) The two songs below are by Shirley Scott, who was a pianist and trumpet player until she heard Jimmy Smith, which led to a switch to the Hammond. (So there's your Jimmy connection.) "Keep the Faith Baby" was what got my attention. The slow tempo and finger snapping conjure visions of smokey coffeehouses full of Hollywood type beatniks. You half expect Joe Friday to pop in and bust someone for reefer.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Shirley Scott Trio - Keep the Faith Baby mp3 at Discos y Monstruos
Shirley Scott Trio - Was the Time mp3 at All About Jazz

No comments: