Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I, ELLA IGNORAMUS

You know how to do a good cover? Totally ignore how it was originally done. Do it from sheet music if you have to. If you're a true song stylist, you can make it your own. Do it. Ella Fitzgerald could, even covering Cream and the Beatles. 

It just occurred to me. Years ago, I would have thought of these songs as square. Now I totally dig them. It's not really about getting old and boring, but the years do have a little to do with it. The longer you listen to music, the more your tastes broaden. It's that thing. You still get it. You still get some weird thrill being on the outside and sticking your toe into some unfamiliar genre for the first time. It's one of the things that nudged me into just about every type of music that I hold dear. Probably you too. So, short version: I don't know shit about Ella Fitzgerald. But I do like these songs.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine of Your Love mp3 at Snuhthing Anything
Ella Fitzgerald - Savoy Truffle mp3 at Cover Me
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Summertime mp3 at Internet Archive
Visit:
Ella Fitzgerald - A bunch more stuff at Internet Archive
Ella Fitzgerald at Wikipedia
Ella Fitzgerald Official site

No comments: