Wednesday, January 5, 2011

PASS IT, MAN


Sometimes I get to maniacally cruising around online, looking for music to write about, and don't slow down enough to smell the pixels. It's ridiculous, really. This whole thing was started for two reasons. One, is that I found myself sending links to great music via email an awful lot. I figured, why should I do that, when I can do a simple blog that would be like emailing everybody all at once? The second reason is that I missed the "you gotta hear this" conversations with my brothers. So, consider this post, actually all the posts, as "you gotta hear this" things, because most of the songs and sites that I link to are some pretty cool shit.


The Heartbreakers - One Track Mind, and Too Much Junkie Business

Though none of the hosts of other sites, or the visitors to this godforsaken dump, have made a peep about my habit of directly linking to mp3 files on other peoples blogs, I will. Here's my thing: just about every blog that has music posted has some sort of disclaimer saying that they're posting mp3s for education value, or to help promote the recording artists. My assumption is, if they are sincerely trying to do just that, then I am helping in them in their mission. If any host has a gripe about the bandwidth they may be paying for (to store mp3s and other media), as a result of a particular post, then I'll take 'em down. Begrudgingly (to be honest), because it will interrupt the flow, man; but I will. It's their right. Just as it might be their right to put ads on a blog that is supposedly for educational purposes. See what I'm getting at?


Rolling Stones 1972 rehearsal. Hipshake, and Tumbling Dice

Here's a good "gotta hear this" with a dash of "you gotta read this". It's a recent post over at the Adios Lounge, It's not very often I run into a post that is well thought out, taking partial bits of songs and connecting them with other artists or bands, and citing different eras and disciplines. On the post, titled "LAMF: A Study in Rock n' Roll DNA", he goes to town. For instance, suggesting that the Germs, on "Richie Dagger's Crime" sounds like the Heartbreakers mixed with X, with a John Fogerty type guitar tone (from the first Creedence LP) in one particular 28 second part of the song. Whether I agree 100% or not, I dig that shit. It's a great post, with 12 songs, two Chuck Berry guitar parts as references, and various other links sprinkled around (i.e. to Richard Hell's piece about Johnny Thunders on his site).

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
A just a taste of the mp3s (because any post that includes Don & Dewey, the Germs, the Sonics, the Heartbreakers, and Creedence is the post of someone who undoubtedly broke into my apartment and raided my record collection):
The Sonics - Psycho mp3 at The Adios Lounge
Don & Dewey - Jungle Hop mp3 at The Adios Lounge
The Germs - Richie Daggers Crime mp3 at The Adios Lounge
The Hearbreakers - Baby Talk mp3 at The Adios Lounge
The New York Dolls - Personality Crisis mp3 at The Adios Lounge

The post:
The Adios Blog - LAMF: A Study in Rock 'n' Roll DNA, 14 mp3s, a mix download containing all the songs, and some pretty informed text, dissecting the whole Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers schtick.

An other interesting read:
Richard Hell - Hot and Cold Johnny (book excerpt) at RichardHell.com

No comments: