Wednesday, February 7, 2024

STUDIO ONE GOES TO THE MOVIES


Oh yeahhhh. These suckers are right up my alley. I love instrumentals, I love movie soundtracks, I love reggae and Studio One is my favorite reggae record label. Put those together and you have something close to a royal flush. I'm on it.

I've heard a handful of reggae versions of the theme from "Shaft" over the years and Cedric Im Brooks's (seen above) version is the one that really sounds still deeply rooted in Jamaica. Other reggae versions are good, they just stray too far. Jackie Mittoo's version of "Hang 'em High" strays quite a ways, still, it's great. Mittoo was part of the house band at Studio One, the Sound Dimension. He pretty much has a license to do anything. An earlier band, the Soul Brothers, is represented by "007", an earlier cut that's really ska. Still cool.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Cedric Im Brooks - Shaft mp3
at Internet Archive
Jackie Mittoo - Hang 'em High mp3 at Internet Archive
Soul Brothers - 007 mp3 at Internet Archive

No comments: