Thursday, April 10, 2014

TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF

How have I not posted Robert Parker's "Barefootin'"? The song has been a favorite for so long, it's hard to believe that possible. That right there is a bonehead omission. Why do I like the song? It's about taking your shoes off and dancing. What's not to like? Being shoeless is about as relaxed as you can be with clothes on. When I was a kid, we all went barefoot, and there was just as much dog shit, broken glass, and germs on the ground. What's changed? Flip flop mania has demonized the practice. We've been sold a bill of goods, wussified. Convinced that it's somehow uncivilized. I ask you, what could possibly be more civil than the couple in the photo above? I rest my case.

I haven't even gotten to Parker. We'll get back to him, sooner rather than later. In the meantime, check the Marvelettes' completely awesome cover. I've now heard two killer versions.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Robert Parker - Barefootin' mp3 at LZ Center
The Marvelettes - Barefootin' mp3 at Boogaloo Time

No comments: