Tuesday, January 7, 2014

KONTROL GROUP

I can appreciated a good cover as much as anyone, and a good effort goes a long way, particularly one that deviates from the sound of the original. But there are certain songs that you just don't want to fuck with. For instance, there's a thousand Chuck Berry songs. Why would you do a cover of "Johnny B. Goode"? Likewise, with the Kinks "You Really Got Me". It just makes me want to hear the Kinks, and loud. So that's what I did after hearing some of the covers of "You Really Got Me" that were posted at Cover Me. I got all amped when I say a Toots and the Maytals cover included, but after hearing it came away wanting to hear some regular tempo Toots, a litlle less of the ska hyperness. The other covers include a Sly Stone demo, a surprisingly not bad slightly funky version by Robert Palmer, and one by 801, a Phil Manzenera/Eno joint. The only one I didn't check out was by Oingo Boingo, because I just hate that band. I know Danny Elfman has done some respectable soundtrack work, but I hate his band. Cue Kinks.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Kinks - Till the End of the Day mp3 at Wandervogel Diary
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night mp3 at Drummer World
The Kinks - You Really Got Me mp3 at Le Blog de la Grande Chose
The Kinks - I Gotta Move mp3 at 8106
Visit:
Kinks Covers at Cover Me Five covers of "You Really Got Me"

No comments: