Sunday, October 4, 2009

VOICE BEATS RIFF


If you have a kid that picked up the guitar around 2003, you're probably sick of the riff. Around that time, two different sets of parents that I know told me that the White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" was basically the new "Smoke on the Water," meaning it had supplanted the Deep Purple song as the go-to "I just got a guitar, now I'm gonna rock" lick. (London area guitar students rated it the #19 lick, with "Smoke on the Water" holding down #1. But that was in 2008, when it was no longer being jammed down the ear canals of every adolescent MTV viewer.) Regardless, if you're in the mood for a cover with some interesting instrumentation and one hell of a singer, download Nostalgia 77's cover, featuring Alice Russell. Once Russell starts singing, the riff that once annoyed the hell out of you will become irrelevant.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never did get sick of 7 Nation Army. This cover rocks.

A year later, my son was on to Stairway to Heaven. And we went into a guitar shop...in Moscow, Idaho, I think. He asked if he could play a guitar, and the owner said, "as long as you don't play "Stairway to Heaven."

Poor kid. He didn't get it and kind of took it personal.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

How do i get in touch with you? Any email adress? I need you to get me in touch with Doug Black from the X-terminators.

M.G.
(Garbage Bag records)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, my email adress is garbagebagrecords at sympatico.ca