Wednesday, July 10, 2013

THE JAZZ PORTION OF OUR SHOW

Wondering what that reference was yesterday when I said that Os Incriveis' "Nao Resta Nem Ilusao" sounded like a surf band doing Mulatu Astatke? I listened to Astatke's Éthiopiques compilation again today, and, well, that description was admittedly a little far reaching. But I realized that it's been a long time since I posted anything by Astatke, so here's some of his older stuff (70's, I think). It's usually referred to as Ethio-jazz (Ethiopian jazz), and wasn't particularly well known, at least here in the states, until Jim Jarmusch used it in his 2005 film Broken Flowers. In recent years he's been messing around with the Heliocentrics, no doubt earning them all sorts of hipster and music snob bonus points. That's why I'm sticking to the early stuff. (I mean, would you listen to the Jerry Lee's Mercury stuff if there's Sun stuff you still haven't heard?)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Mulatu Astatke - Yekermo Sew mp3 at Oh Color Me In
Mulatu Astatke - Emnete mp3 at Ailleurslatete
Mulatu Astatke - Yegelle Tezeta mp3 at Antinomian
Visit:
Mulatu Astatke at Wikipedia

No comments: