Sunday, June 9, 2013

WE QUIT

I've no clue where I first heard "I'm Blue" by the Ikettes. I do know that it was a long time ago and must have been in under favorable circumstances because it always brings about one of those deja cool feelings. You know, when you just sort of just sink into a song, like hanging with an old buddy. It's gotten to the point that I never play it myself because I'd rather be surprised unexpectedly. I ran into it today, and once again, it hit the spot. 

The Ikettes had several lineups, which isn't that surprising when you consider that they were most often found backing the squabbling Ike and Tina Turner. There were some issues regarding royalties as well, and they already had a decent amount of notoriety, so yeah, there were a few "later with you" moments among the thirty plus past Ikettes. A few left and went on to sing as the Mirettes. A couple, Clydie King and Venetta Fields, left to back Ray Charles and others, including the Stones (four cuts on Exile On Main St.). Claudia Lennear is another one, she sang behind Joe Cocker and Leon Russell among others, and had solo stuff. Bonnie Bramlett was the first white Ikette, and later, with husband Delany as Delaney and Bonnie, was the first white act on Stax.That's only about a fourth of them.

A heads up here. Check out the lead vocals on "Blue On Blue", vocal chord shredding commences on the second word. And dig on Clydie King's "The Thrill Is Gone". Someone was listening to Spector stuff and Pet Sounds.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Ikettes - I'm Blue mp3 at (via Box.net) at Dusty Sevens
The Ikettes - Blue On Blue mp3 at The Beiderbecke Affair
The Ikettes - I'm So Thankful mp3 at Lil' Mikes
The Mirettes - To Love Somebody mp3 (via Kiwi6) at Just Press Play
Clydie King - The Thrill Is Gone mp3 at Art Decade
Video:
The Ikettes - Peaches 'n' Cream at YouTube
Visit:
The Ikettes at Wikipedia

No comments: