Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MISSING SHE-WOLF

Okay, now I've gotta get all of this raw tambourine business out of my system. That tambourine in Carol Fran's song yesterday reminded me of Jessie Mae Hemphill. Hemphill plays the tambourine with her foot. It is awesome.



I first picked up a record of hers just because of the picture sleeve. It told me a story. I didn't know what that story was, but it it sure looked interesting. Hemphill is pictured in a tube top and cowboy hat, holding her guitar. In black and white. Cool as it was, I was not prepared for what I was about to hear. It was raw blues. Weathered, as if she were sixty years old. And it had that tambourine. Everything I've ever seen or heard of hers since then, roughly twenty five years ago, has been every bit as interesting as that first 45 sleeve. She is missed.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Standing In My Doorway Crying mp3 at Ghetto Session
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Honey Bee mp3 at Subverse
Jessie Mae Hemphill - You Can Talk About Me mp3 at Whisky Fun
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Crawdad Hole mp3 at Tiny Cat Pants
Video
Jessie Mae Hemphill - You Can Talk About Me at YouTube
Visit:
Jessie Mae Hemphill at Wikipedia

No comments: