Sunday, February 3, 2013

SWISS CREME

Goddamn, I love the Reverend Beat Man. The guy is a nut. I don't know what it is about him. Despite looks somewhere south of movie star, and a voice that makes Clarence Frogman Henry sound like Bobby Vinton, the man has some sort of self effacing cockiness that elevates his whole thing. He's an ex-wrestler, one man band solo act, a member of the Monsters, record label owner and DJ, and he should be a movie star. Check out the videos below. The first one is what prompted this post, an unlikely collaboration with the Round Table Knights, a couple of Swiss DJs. It's got some sort of David Lynch thing going on, just enough weirdness that it borders on Dada.



The Beat Man really shines in the Monsters' video below. This one definitely owes something to Quentin Tarantino or Russ Meyer. You'll see what I mean. What I found particularly interesting is that his acting is so good, it almost seems like he's not playing a role, that he really is just a horny old man (or "the pervert" as he is credited in the closing). Actually, that might be the key to the attraction here. His whole persona is like some character out of an oddball B-movie. Really, this guy needs to be on the big screen. If you check out other videos on YouTube (under his own name or the Monsters), you'll see what I mean. But he doesn't want any part of it. Though he did have a role in the feature length The Road to Nod, in the interview at the bottom of his bio page, he says that's it for the movies. (Read that interview and tell me he's not your kind of people. Again, it's at the bottom of his bio page). Regardless, just considering his music, the question remains, why isn't he huge?!? Oh yeah, looks somewhere south of movie star, and a voice that makes Clarence Frogman Henry sound like Bobby Vinton. I get it. Show biz pussies...




~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Reverend Beat Man - Come Back Lord mp3 at Go Retro
Reverend Beat Man - I Don't Care mp3 at Shut Up and Listen
Reverend Beat Man - Get On Your Knees mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm
The Monsters - I Want You mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm Records
The Monsters - I Wanna Do What I Wanna Do mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm Records
The Monsters -The Love I Never Had mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm
The Monsters - I'm a Record Junkie mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm
The Monsters - Go Away Fuck Yourself mp3 at Voodoo Rhythm
Round Table Knights with Reverend Beat Man - Cut to the Top mp3 at You Are Hear 
Visit:
Reverend Beat Man's bio at Voodoo Rhythm
Voodoo Rhythm Records

No comments: