Sunday, March 6, 2011

COVER ORGY


Cover version blogs are like cover versions. Some pretty much suck, and some do a bang up job. It's a pain staking task, collecting a bunch of covers, so what's the point of doing that for either a mediocre song, or mediocre cover versions? Some of the cover blogs, when they do pick a good song, seem to pick versions that are either less interesting than the original, or just flat out copy it. Again, what's the point in that? To prove that you were able to find cover versions of the song? To prove you have a healthy sized record collection? I don't get it (but, then again, they didn't ask me). Rare is the cover music blog that manages to pick good songs as topics, and manages to follow through with interesting covers of widely varying origins.

Today I ran into a cover blog that does a good job of finding some good shit. My first tip that it would be better than most was the name of it, Versions Galore, which happens to be the name of an early U Roy LP, and if you know me, I like my U Roy. Of course, the versions in U Roy's title refers to a different kind of version, but it makes for a great cover blog title. (That is, if the blog in question is trying to attract U Roy fiends; which, if is the case, this time actually worked.)

Where was I? Oh yeah, covers. As far as I can figure, there are a few reasons to do covers. An obvious one is that you really love the song, or artist, so it's some sort of tribute. And then there are bands that can't really write, so they pad their repertoire out of neccessity. Some, particularly in the fifties and sixties, put out tamer versions hoping to gain airplay on stations unwilling to play anything slightly wild (ala Pat Boone covering Little Richard). And some bands with a wide reaching or particularly fervent following might cover a semi-obscure song, oft times released on a small independent label, to reach a bigger audience (like the Kingsmen getting a massive hit out of Richard Berry's "Louie, Louie").

So, about Versions Galore: when I landed on their homepage, right there was a cover by the Dirtbombs (one bonus point for posting the Dirtbombs, and another for referring to them as "garage rock messiahs"). So, I was off to the mother lovin' races. I ended up running into quite a few worthy posts. How many covers of the Meters' Sissy Strut do you need? How's about twenty two? Including one from a Polish funk band, accurately described as sounding like a "70's cop car chase scene." That's another thing, this guy isn't just posting rock related stuff. He's really digging to come up with some of these.

Here's a handful of songs, but definitely go there if these wet your whistle. The first one below, an afro funk cover of "Crosstown Traffic," is what sold me. I gotta say, Versions Galore is the best designed, most varied, and best all around cover version blog that I've run across. Plus, the guy writes with a little punch.

NOTE: Versions Galore, the hosting blog, is calling it quits and has removed all music from his blog. (9/26/2012).

3 comments:

Leopold Stotch said...

Ah thanks for the kind words, though admittedly you did have me scared their for a minute with the sub-title 'Full on cover version time suck'.
Indeed it's a U Roy reference (and a small nod to Meat Beat Manifesto as well) and yes it had nothing to do with the practice of 'versioning', just liked the name and didn't want to be the umpteenth player on the block with a blog name like 'Taking Cover'.
As far as my music choices, thanks for noticing.
I think certain cover blogs do a fine job of tackling whatever the latest Katy Perry, Jack Johnson or Lady Gaga cover is out there but I come from a different background and so I tend to cover only music that I personally like; electronica, reggae, punk, garage, soul/funk, afrobeat, old school hip hop, etc. It turns out by coincidence that these are the same genres that for the most other cover blogs don't really bother with. And again since its just a glorified personal hobby for me, and not a way to make a living or even eek out some adshare lunch money, I don't feel the pressure to cover anything I don't like. Huzzah!
Also 95% of the time, like you noticed, I do try to steer clear of note for note covers, if for the sole reason that they're fucking boring. The few times I do it's mostly for posterity (or in the case of funk, a new break to sample for beat-miners). I mean why bother with, yawn, The Decemberists covering a Wilco covering A Band of Horses (all fine bands though), when I can feature an amazing leftfield sitar cover of a Devo track?
That said good offbeat covers are hard to find and can be limiting sometimes. For example I'd love to feature T Rex's '20th Century Boy', but I have yet to find an interesting take on it. Until then I'd rather hold my breath.

Thanks again for the rather nice write up.

Leopold Stotch
Versions Galore
http://www.versionsgalore.com

Tom G. said...

Hey, about the "time suck" reference, that was meant in a good way (I toyed with saying "5 Star Time Suck" but that's a phrase I use all too often). You're right about the tendency of other cover blogs to lean on the obvious, that's why yours stands out. And I agree with you about the AdShare thing; it kinda cheapens a blog to have that sort of thing. It's as if people can't figure out how to buy a CD by themselves.

One burning question: do you do all the graphics yourself? If so, you do a hell of a job. Me dig. The fake X LP cover had me chuckling.

Thanks for what I'm sure is probably pretty thankless work. My post started out to just be a thank you for that awesome Crosstown Traffic cover, but as I dug deeper, I was practically shitting my pants. Really, I had to stop myself from linking to too many mp3s, because I know it be kind of annoying. (Thanks for not wigging out about the ones I did link to).

Just wanted to steer some of the people that visit my blog in your direction. I'll be adding yours to my long ignored link list when I get around to updating it.

Thanks again,
Tom

Leopold Stotch said...

"One burning question: do you do all the graphics yourself? If so, you do a hell of a job. Me dig. The fake X LP cover had me chuckling.
"

Indeed I do. My day job is freelance art director/illustrator. Funny enough when I started the blog I promised myself i wouldn't get all design-y, that it would be as undesigned as possible (which is still is kinda ghetto) and that I'd focus soley on the music. Old habits die hard.

"Just wanted to steer some of the people that visit my blog in your direction. I'll be adding yours to my long ignored link list when I get around to updating it."

Likewise. I dig the music selections you have (45 Grave!) and will gladly return the link favor.

BTW keep a heads up for tomorrows post, I think you'll dig it.

Best
LS