Tuesday, July 9, 2024

NEVER SAID THEY SUCKED.


I was listening to early punk rock earlier, primarily stuff that I never got around to buying. Back then it was usually a lack of funds and having to prioritize. Some bands though put me off from the start. The Damned are a very good example of the latter. I never took the leap and bought anything of theirs. The first few LPs were everywhere and not disliked by me. I just couldn't, and still can't, take a singer dressed like Dracula seriously, particularly in a punk band. Never mind fucking Captain Sensible's goofy ass shades They were "Nope!" then and they're "Nope!" now. But, holy shit, they sure sound good.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Damned - Neat Neat Neat mp3
at Internet Archive
The Damned - New Rose mp3
at Internet Archive
The Damned - Love Song  mp3
at Internet Archive Ed Hollis 1979 single version (?)

3 comments:

guessimdumb said...

I always felt the same way about the Damned - they had some good singles but I was never moved to buy anything.

Steve D. said...

I don't know how to react to this.
I'm not a huge fan of the group; but considering they go a long way back, and that Jack Rabid, who I must deduce is somebody else whose word you consider valid (especially concerning the Big Takeover (magazine - they're on the cover of the current issue - and podcast)); that one of the group's members dresses weirdly is a perplexing reason to dismiss them.

Tom G. said...

Well, number one: I don't know who Jack Rabid is so I don't care what he has to say, and number two, you don't have to react to my distaste for bands with silly outfits at all so don't worry about it. Why would it matter to anyone who likes a certain band or not? You might be putting to much weight on other people's opinions.