Sunday, June 9, 2024

"MAKE UP! WE'RE GONNA NEED SOME MORE SNOT."


It's been decades since the original Nuggets garage punk compilation came out and I still haven't really gone out of my way to look into the backgrounds of many of the bands on it. That's because that first two LP compilation was joined by others. There were multiple Nuggets compilations, another series, the imaginatively titled Pebbles, the Back From the Grave series, more from Sundazed,...there were just too many to check out the bios of every band. So, once I return to a song I like, that's when I do a cursory background check. Today, a band lost me.The Leaves coulda passed the test based on the two songs I know. "Too Many People" was the one I had to hear. "Hey Joe" was the other. (Their version of the latter was the first released, before versions by Hendrix and others.)

Before the bio check, the photo. Yikes! I ran across the photo above. Things ain't looking too good. Those perfectly coiffed bowl cuts seem a little disingenuous, even keeping in mind that almost all bands back then had their eyes on the charts. So, the Leaves are on probation. Now on to background shit, I dunno, let's try Wikipedia. Once there, there, I was almost blinded. In a sea of words, it might as well have been a neon sign, "They were discovered by popular singer and actor Pat Boone". Game over. Anyone who had anything to do with Pat Boone has a space reserved on the shit list. As you know, Boone is the archenemy of any true Little Richard fan. The conversation ends here.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Leaves - Too Many People mp3
at Internet Archive
The Leaves - Hey Joe mp3 at Internet Archive

No comments: