Saturday, March 17, 2018

HEY, YOU IN FRONT. WHAT'S WITH THE SHOES?

A friend of mine recently posted a video of a band called the Wild Angels, a corny name and a band I've never heard of. You never know where these things are going to lead so I checked it out. Sounded kinda sorta like Dave Edmunds type stuff, rockabilly informed, but not straight up rockabilly. That would explain the abundance of sideburns. The video was okay, not earth shattering, The corny backing vocals were a put off, but not enough to at least give these guys a look-see. It turns out that they backed Gene Vincent for an England tour in 1969. It was time to do some digging.

What I was able to find was three passable covers, "Brand New Cadillac", "I Fought the Law," and "My Way", the source material being Vince Taylor, the Bobby Fuller Four and Eddie Cochran respectively. Not bad choices. They hold up as some sort of pit stop between the original versions and later covers by the Clash ("Brand New Cadillac", "I Fought the Law,") and the Real Kids ("My Way"), though the guitar sound on the Wild Angels' "I Fought the Law" blows. No punch. Regardless, here's the fruits of todays wild goose chase.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Wild Angels- Brand New Cadillac mp3 at Rocky 52 1972
The Clash - Brand New Cadillac
(streaming) at YouTube 1979
Vince Taylor - Brand New Cadillac mp3
at ATumblr (?) 1959
The Wild Angels - I Fought the Law mp3
at Rocky 52 1973
The Clash - I Fought the Law mp3
at Quiet Color 1979
Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought the Law mp3
at Rocky 52 1966
The Wild Angels - My Way mp3
at Rocky 52 1973
The Real Kinds - My Way
(streaming) at YouTube 1977
Eddie Cochran - My Way
(streaming) at YouTube 1959

Video:
The Wild Angels - Jo Jo Anne at YouTube

No comments: