Tuesday, January 16, 2018

THE SINGER NOT THE SONG

Above: Not Rik L. Rik. Some other Negative Trend singer.
Negative Trend was one of those second tier punk bands that I never actively sought out, and even though I'd seen them a couple times, and had a compilation with a couple of their songs, that was it. I knew that, on the songs on the comp, Rik L. Rik, ex-F-Word singer (another second tier band, bla-bla-bla) was singing. I knew they had a presence in San Francisco via either Slash or Search and Destroy (or both), and that Chris Desjardin put out the compilation. That's about all I knew of the band.

There was one song of theirs on that compilation that I really dug, and still do, "Mercenaries". The way Rik L. Rik sings it, that's what does it for me. He draws out words and, doesn't as much shout the words, or scream them. It's really more like yelling. Just yelling his fucking lungs out. I'm diggin' it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Negative Trend (Rik L. Rik: vocals)- Mercenaries (streaming) at YouTube From the Tooth and Nail compilation 1979
Negative Trend (Mikal Waters: vocals)- Mercenaries mp3 at Killed By Death From dedut EP 1978
Negative Trend (Waters era) - Three more at Killed By Death

No comments: