Sunday, November 12, 2017

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT. JAZZ COWBOY.

I didn't know much about jazz when John Coltrane was recommended to me by a friend. The friend had great taste in music, and among other things that he told me about his indoctrination in jazz was that before he heard Coltrane, he had little interest in jazz himself. He told me, in great detail, about the first time he listened to his dad's copy of A Love Supreme. Knowing enough to know Coltrane was a near deity in jazz, and after his recommendation, I started listening to Coltrane. I got as far as "My Favorite Things" and thought it a weird choice for a cover. A song from the Sound of Music by a jazz god? What's up with that?

Luckily I listened, long enough to get to the point where he starts to stretch his legs, Okay, I thought, that's how a jazz god does covers. This all came back to me when I heard Sonny Rollin's cover of "I'm an Old Cow Hand (from the Rio Grand)". This one really goes off. By the time you're through the first couple minutes, you forget what song it started out as. The alternate take, released as bonus cut on a later reissue. is double the length, and really allows you to really get lost. While it doesn't sound like dub, it elicits the same feeling, as if your weaving in and out of the song, kind of floating. And it's just Rollins on sax, Ray Brown on bass, and Shelly Manne on drums; Just a trio.. This jazz shit is okay.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things mp3 at LBCC (?)
Sonny Rollins - I'm an Old Cow Hand (From the Rio Grande) mp3 at Time Goes By
Sonny Rollins - I'm an Old Cow Hand (From the Rio Grande) (alternate take) (streaming) at YouTube
Visit:
A Bit of Jazz at Time Goes By Ten random jazz cuts, posted by the man Tibbles. What got me going tonight. Thanks Peter.

No comments: