Thursday, October 5, 2017

WHAT DOES GREASY SOUND LIKE?

"Greasy Drums." There is absolutely no way I am not going to click on that. I don't care who it is. The title alone, regardless of what it sounds like, is like waving tacos in my face. I'm gonna bite.

Let's back up. I came upon "Greasy Drums" by way of Brother Jack McDuff's "Screamin'". After hearing it, I realized that I'd never posted any of McDuff's stuff, so I went looking and I knew where to look. Groove Addict, the bastion of jazz, funk and soul that all falls in to the loose category of popcorn. (What is "popcorn" you might ask? Good question. Check this.) Groove Addict did not disappoint.

While perusing the McDuff tracks, "Greasy Drums", jumped into my face, a cut on an album by credited to his drummer as Joe Dukes with the Brother Jack McDuff Quartet. The quartet was McDuff, Dukes, sax man Red Holloway and a young George Benson on guitar. After locking in on "Greasy Drums", that led to another more specific tack, and it became apparent that this whole McDuff thing is going to have to be continued on a night when I have way more time.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Brother Jack McDuff - Screamin' mp3 at Internet Archive
Joe Dukes with the Brother Jack McDuff Quartet - Greasy Drums mp3
at Groove Addict
Brother Jack McDuff Quartet - Opus de Funk mp3
at Groove Addict
Video:
Brother Jack McDuff Quartet - Live 1964
at YouTube Hopped up dad!

No comments: