Monday, July 31, 2017

OH SHIT. ADD IT TO THE BOOK LIST.

I just read a post that quotes Peter Guralnick's profile of Sleepy LaBeef (from his book Lost Highway: Journeys and Arrivals of American Musicians). It was a great all around post. A little praise for Guralnick, the quotes from him, and a recent video of LaBeef playing in some bar. The takeaway? Three things:

1. After recently finishing his biography of Sam Phillips, which was great, I knew another book by Guralnick would be in order. The post just pushed me towards Lost Highway.

2. Musicians shouldn't be dicks. Because he wrote a book about the Fleshtones, the host of the blog, Joe Bonomo is, almost certainly unknowingly, promoting a band with an asshole for a guitarist. Follow me here. Years ago, I ran into said asshole guitarist in a club. The guy was the full asshole. I hate assholes. Hate 'em. It put me off the Fleshtones for a long time. Not for a year. Forever, as in still ongoing. And here I am, decades later, fucking prejudging a writer because he wrote about a band with an asshole guitarist. And you know what? His band ain't shit. Fuck the Fleshtones.   

3. It's been a while since I've listened to Sleepy LaBeef so I think I'll go do that. Forget about the asshole guitarist for a while. Really, every once in a while you really should go back and check on those second tier OG rockabilly guys. Remind yourself that Elvis was a new waver compared to the guys who couldn't be spit-shined.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: