Tuesday, April 11, 2017

THE LP AS LEGACY

J. Geils died today and you may not give a shit. If you learned about the J. Geils Band from their MTV era hit "Centerfold" you probably think of them as a bland also-ran. I'm here to tell you that back in the day, they were contenders. Their first two albums, the self titled debut and The Morning After, were both worthy of attention; they had decidedly more grease in their game than their contemporaries, but nothing that would really grab you enough to bug out. Their reputation was really made by their live show. I remember my brother coming home after seeing them right around then, telling me that everyone was moving and sweat was flying. That's what impressed him. Then their third album came out, Full House, a live set that did...not...quit. From beginning to end it really did sound like everyone was moving and sweat was flying. I've listened to that LP consistently in the ensuing decades and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite live albums of all time.

Geils greased, second from right, High res version here,


If you don't know Full House, you may have dismissed the J. Geils Band long ago. I can't say I'd blame you. But in the interest of giving Geils his due, I consider it my duty to set the record straight for you late comers. Listen to Full House in its entirety and see if you don't come away with a different view of them. Blast it from beginning to end. It's all sprint.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
J. Geils Band - Full House (Full LP) (streaming) at YouTube

No comments: