Tuesday, April 19, 2016

EDDIE HAZEL AT HOME WITH HIS MOTHER

You have to know my sister. Parliament and Funkadelic are about the furthest thing from her playlist that there is. And she is not one to suggest a subject to post knowing that I often poo-poo other people's ideas. Not often, almost always. So when she suggested posting something by Eddie Hazel my first thought was where in the hell did she pull that out of?!  I mean it, she's a seventies soft rock lady. This was weird. After the idea festered for a few days I figured the thought of her suggesting Hazel was too monumental to ignore. It may not happen again, and I'd be remiss if I didn't document it. In a years time I'd convince myself that it was an imagined event.

Hazel was the guitarist for that whole Parliment/Funkadelic mob, but he shouldn't be associated with funk alone. He was one of those guitarists' guitarists, capable of rock and blues and everything in between. But he was clean and his licks, er, tasty. "Tasty licks", high school descriptions never die. Before the recording of "Maggot Brain", George Clinton suggested how it should be played, and his instructions were for Hazel to think his saddest thoughts. Hazel thought of his deceased mother and cried through his guitar. For ten minutes, the guitar sobs. And that would be the second use of douchy high school era guitar playing slang in one post.

Hazel's solo cover of "California Dreamin'" is something like the missing link between Isaac Hayes and Hendrix. Laid back, drawn out soul with guitar all over the place. As good a cover as there is, and not at all like the original. I always thought the Mamas and Papas' version was too sunny anyway.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: