Monday, August 24, 2015

FLORIAN DITCHED SCHOOL AND GOT STONED

Are any of you old enough to remember making mix tapes and trying to fill every second of tape with whatever you had lying around so there wouldn't be a be a big gap at the end of one of your C90? A couple minutes of a free for all, filled with spoken word, sound effects or whatever?

Man, those sound effects records came in handy. I remember one time, walking down the boardwalk near a local beach and hearing the loud crash of a plate glass window breaking. As I approached I heard another window breaking, and soon after that, another. All of these startled tourists were looking around. Again, there was another crash, louder as I approached, along with a maniacal laugh. I knew the laugh. It was my friend Kevin Chambers [RIP] and it turns out that he was playing and replaying the end of a tape I'd made him, full blast on a giant boombox, on a busy boardwalk, just laughing his ass off. Good times.

Where was I? Oh yeah, mix tape filler. I just ran into a site with some interesting filler, particularly if you like oddball shit. First up is "The Beating Goes On" with Murry Wilson dishing out unsolicited advice during a Beach Boys recording session, sampled with whatever it is this electronic music would be referred to as. Techno? Drums 'n' Bass? House? EDM? I don't know enough to classify it, I just refer to it as "No Guitar Music".

The other two things are what the maker, David Dixon, refers to as "dictionaraoke", defined on his site as "Audio clips from online dictionaries sing the hits of yesterday and today. The fun of karaoke meets the word power of the dictionary," which is just a long way of saying "funny as shit". Check out Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" with the audio widgets from Merriam-Webster and Microsoft Encarta taking the vocal duties, And check out John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom". Tee hee. Nothing is sacred.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Visit:

No comments: