Wednesday, May 27, 2015

USED TOOLS FOR SALE

The Rolling Stones are reportedly playing a private party tonight, in a venue near San Diego that holds about 500 people. They are being paid by Ralph Whitworth, an ex-HP fat cat, reportedly to the tune of two million dollars. That's $2,000,000. That's a lot of cheese. This Whitworth fellow must have a deep wallet, and really, really want to impress his friends. I think it's disgusting.

There are a number of reasons why this sucks, if it is indeed happening. First, the money. Defenders would say that in many cases like this, the artist just designates a charity and the money goes to a noble cause. Bullshit, I do cry. If this was so charitable, why doesn't the artist just donate the money without playing? Hell, how about Mr. Bucks Deluxe? Another thing that bugs me, is that it's the Stones. Yeah, they've been an exclusive lot for a half a century, practically out of the gate. But what happened to those nose thumbing rebel rousers who once stated "We piss anywhere, man."? We all know that changed years ago, but c'mon. Suckups. (Note: You kids of today, nothing past "Exile". If you don't know what that means, you will.)

And then there's Whitworth. I don't know anything about him, other than he's obscenely wealthy, entirely out of touch, and insanely desperate for attention. And he's sucking our oxygen. Think I'm being harsh? Check this, the same guy hired another band to play as a surprise for his wife's birthday party, and that set him back one million dollars. I don't know if the band had a name, but the singer was some hack named Paul McCartney. True story. His money did go to charity, but again, just get out your checkbook and quit showing off like an asshole. 

That felt good.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Rolling Stones - Salt of the Earth (streaming) at YouTube
Visit:
An ex-HP exec repotedly paid millions for a private Rolling Stones show near San Diego at Business Insider Found by web search, just so you know.
Rolling Stones rumor: Secret show Wednesday night? at CBS8 Video Report

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Ralph Whitworth myself, but I know who he is. He heads an investment fund, Relational Investors, that took a stake in H-P. They thought enough of his ideas that they made him chairman of the board, but he hadn't previously worked there. He had to step down last year after being diagnosed with cancer. I don't know how serious it is, but he might have felt this was his only chance to see the Stones one last time. In which case I'd be inclined to cut him a little slack.

Marc

Tom G. said...

Sorry. No slack at this end. Bucket list or not, he spit towards the common man.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I get that, and I'm not really going to defend him. I guess it bothers me more that the Stones agreed to do the gig, but I can't say I'm surprised. They've been all about maximizing revenue for years - ever since they hired Prince Rupert. Actually, a lot of bands apparently give private concerts for tech companies and hedge fund billionaires. They just don't like their regular fans to know about it.

Marc

Tom G. said...

It's much easier for me to hate someone like Jimmy Buffet for doing it than it is the Stones. Never thought I'd see the day when they would be lap dogs.