Sunday, April 5, 2015

WELL, THEY DO HAVE BOOTS

I really wanted to dislike Persephone's Bees. They were just too smartly dressed, a little smooth around the edges. Well thought out, their music too, they just seemed kind of calculated. I gave up on that shit, because when all is said and done, some of their stuff is catchy. "Nice Day" is the one that caught me. I may be partial to it because the pace of it hits me the same way seventies reggae does, and it's not at all reggae. It's poppy, breezy vocals and all of that. But there's do denying it sucked me in.

Persephone's Bees were still on one song probation when I bought the LP. It ended up being another song altogether that really gave them the pass, a cover of Status Quo's "Paper Plane". Think of the Sweet's Desolation Blvd, with a with a woman singer, a singer with a Russian accent. It's good, real good if you like basic inoffensive rockers. But part of it is the source material, Status Quo's original. It was on their Piledriver LP, one that I haven't heard in years. I know I've heard it, many times. My younger brother had it, and it was the only Status Quo album in the house, so it had to have been played a decent amount. Regardless, add another to the revisit list.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Persephone's Bees - Nice Day mp3 at Faux (?)
Video:
Persephone's Bees - Paper Plane
at YouTube
Status Quo - Paper Plane
at YouTube
Persephone's Bees - City of Love
at YouTube

No comments: