Monday, March 23, 2015

THE CAPTAIN AND TENILLE

A buddy of mine linked to a Boss Hog video today and it occurred to me that it's been ages since I've listened to them. All I have of theirs is on cassettes, and maybe a 45 or two buried in a poorly sorted mess in the hall closet. Regardless, a hassle. So I went digging and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take advantage of a web search I was going to do anyways.

I'm not sure I ever gave Boss Hog a fair shake. They had some hurdles. First off, the couple thing, Jon Spencer and Cristina Martinez in the same band. That would be enough of an obstacle, but the fact that Martinez has model-like looks made it tougher. It pretty much boils down to reverse discrimination. The only way they manage to make it past those bugaboos is because I do recognize Spencer's stature as some sort of noisy elder. He's been at it a long time, in some bands that are better than others. But it's often abrasive, and that trumps all of that other stuff.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Boss Hog - Hustler mp3 at Ten Bulls
Boss Hog - Jaguar mp3
at ATumblr (?)
Boss Hog - I'm Not Like Everybody Else mp3
at One Woman Show Kinks cover
Video:
Boss Hog - I Dig You
at YouTube

No comments: