Friday, January 30, 2015

ON THE LIST

Ooohh yeah, "Caravan", one of my favorite instrumentals of all time. When I first heard my brother's surf band play it back in the eighties, I had no clue who wrote it, or that its vintage predated surf music by decades. It was catchy and it fit their sound, and like "Miserlou", there was something about it's structure that landed it in that category of songs that are so good, it's damn near impossible to fuck them up. Years later I'd find out that it was first performed by Duke Ellington, and assumed that it was written by him. I found out later that it was written by Juan Tixol. Who? Shit, here we go again. I'll get to him in a few decades. Regardless, there you have it. I had my first favorite Duke Ellington song, and another name was added to the list. This is why it never ends. If you're a fiend, you know the feeling. The, "I'd been putting music of this alleged great off for so long, looks like there's no turning back now" feeling. You know as well as I, that list will never be completed. Shake it off. Bug out to these.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Duke Ellington - Caravan (1962) mp3 at Space Age Pop
Duke Ellington - Caravan (1947) mp3 at Space Age Pop
Thelonius Monk - Caravan (1955) mp3 at Space Age Pop

No comments: