Thursday, September 25, 2014

THE CRAZY GIRLFRIEND

I don't like to think of Lydia Lunch as a brand, which is why I only follow her intermittently.  I don't know, she could be a Henry Rollins, as in a "You want to know what I think? Sure. And you'll give me money to let it rip, okay, let's go" type deal. She began her thing as the singer of Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, then solo, Eight Eyed Spy, spoken word, books, and, if I remember correctly, a handful of films. In other words she's been all over the place in the last few decades. The damn buffet is right there, but I'm not going near it. Why? It's like this, although Henry Rollins can be entertaining, and he does have relatable insights, sometimes I wonder if I know too much, I'd almost rather know him as the singer of Black Flag and that's it. I don't want to know Henry Rollins, the brand, In other words, I'm trying my damnedest to avoid thinking of Lydia Lunch as a brand.



But, I dig her. Not really sure why, it might just be that she is one of the very few people that can pull off the I don't give a shit attitude for decades, or at least seem to, Again, could just be the brand, Regardless, I was pleased as punch to run into this thing below. A video where she throws it all out there, publicly inviting Louis C,K, to do all sorts of nasty things. Here's what I dig about it, other than the fact that she's held up well over the years. It might occur to you, as it did me, that the Louis C,K, that she is all hot about, is his character in his TV show, not necessarily the real life C.K. Acknowledging that the two C,K,s are closely related, it still begs the question, what if this video is just another movie role, a "project"? Occam says: "Who cares?!!"


For any of you unfamiliar with Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, here's about where they exist. You know the band Wire, right? In particular, their first LP, Pink Flag, It's entirely listenable minimalist punk, some would say post-punk, Whatever, it's punchy and, like I said, entirely listenable, to the point of awesomeness.. Okay, so you have them on one side on the room, right? On the other side of the room you have Yoko Ono, whose shrieking-era music is about as abrasive vocally as it gets. Nails on a chalkboard, I believe, is how it is most often described, Okay, so she's on the other side of the room. Somewhere in between the two is Teenage Jesus and the Jerks. Just exactly where in between depends on your taste and your preference for abrasive stuff. I happen to dig them.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Burning Rubber mp3 at You Better Shut Up and Listen
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Orphans mp3
at Cold Crush
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Baby Doll mp3
at Dusted
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Woke Up Dreaming mp3
at Warped Reality

No comments: