Friday, September 5, 2014

MEET THIS LADY

Here's a singer I couldn't find squat about online. Wanda Davis. Believe me, I tried. After hearing her cover of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" I went digging. I ran into her Facebook page and a couple more songs, and that's about it. But she's now on my radar, I will be digging further. For now, check the two cuts below, a cover of Aretha's "Save Me" from 1970 (some kind of funky drummer on that one), and the Leadbelly cover from 2003, with a guitarist that's listened to the first Creedence LP more than a few times, and some wicked, super spooky horns. It's soaked with doom. Now the hunt continues.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Wanda Davis - Where Did You Sleep Last Night? mp3 at Sucka Pants
Wanda Davis - Save Me mp3 at Now Again
Leadbelly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night? mp3
at Internet Archive

2 comments:

Roberta said...

That's fantastic. I've always loved that song anyways. Excellent cover.

Tom G. said...

Isn't it a great one? I ran into it with no explanation or text and I thought "well, how good can she be if I've never heard of her." That'll teach me.