Sunday, August 24, 2014

HOT SHIT. CAN BE HORNERY.

Oh yeahhh. I love the double whammy. Tonight I ran into two things I'd been hoping to find online for quite a while, plus I just had my mind sufficiently blown by a new song. Browsing through old posts at Likembe (a really great African music blog), I ran into one with Ginger Baker's Strativarious LP, the album with Fela on it. I mentioned it in a post about six years ago and have been on the lookout ever since. Check it out, consider that it was only a couple years after Cream disbanded. I remember when I first heard it in my teens, wondering how went from Cream to "...this?!" That was until I heard "Blood Brothers", and was sucked in. It's the least African cut on the album, an eight minute drum solo, so to speak. It's actually Baker and Ghanaian drummer Guy Warren just completely going off. My young rock brain could comprehend that.

Finding that LP would have been enough, but I also ran into Beware Mr. Baker, the documentary about Ginger Baker, in its entirety. To top it off, a new song released just a few months ago, "Why"; a jazz number that is both complex and stark. I totally dig it. It's almost like stoner no wave.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ginger Baker with Fela - Tiwa mp3 at Likembe
Ginger Baker and Guy Warren - Blood Brothers mp3 at Likembe
Ginger Baker - Why (streaming) at Rolling Stone
The Full LP: 
Ginger Baker - Strativarious LP at Likembe Eleven cuts, individual mp3s or a single zip
Video:
Beware of Mr. Baker (entire film) at YouTube HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

No comments: