Sunday, July 20, 2014

THIS DRUMMER IS AT THE RIGHT GIG

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that if you want to locate funky New Orleans music from the mid-sixties through the early seventies, you just have to look for a session that James Black played on. I've been poking around sporadically since last night and have found nothing that would negate that suggestion. This is a great example of why you never limit yourself to the music you know. If it wasn't for that Betty Harris photo yesterday, I'd would not have known about James Black. And, as it is, I feel like I slipped through some crazy secret portal. Maybe he's well known to collectors and his breaks are sampled all over the place, I don't know. I do know that I've been walking around my whole life not knowing who he is, and now I do. And now the fun begins...

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Roy Ward - Horse With a Freeze mp3 at Soul Garage 1968 
Sonny Jones - Sissy Walk mp3 at Soul Garage 1971
Mary Jane Hooper - I've Got What You Need (streaming) at YouTube 1969
Eddie Bo and the Soul Finders - We're Doin' It (streaming) at YouTube  1969
The Explosions - Hip Drop (streaming) at YouTube 1971
This is good:
James Black - Guardian of the Groove - Audio documentary at YouTube 
Note: This is part one. At YouTube, check the right column for the rest.
Visit:
James Black bio and discography at Drummer World

No comments: