Monday, September 30, 2013

WHAT THE HELL, COULDN'T RESIST

I wouldn't ordinarily post a song after being prompted by a TV show, but the last scene of the last episode of Breaking Bad featured Badfinger's "Baby Blue" a song I happen to really dig. The juxtaposition of it's inclusion in a tragic scene ending a tragic series was effective, that is in getting me to turn it up and play air drums, totally ignoring what was happening on the screen. It's a great song, and the best part of it, for me, is remembering where I was when it actually made an impact on me. My friend Bill played it for me on his badass component stereo many (many) years ago, after hunting for it for ages. You oldsters can probably relate. In the pre-internet, pre-reissue days, out of print meant out of print, as in the search for some records didn't happen with a few clicks. It was record swaps, mail order, or, in rare instances, a serendipitous score from a thrift store or garage sale. When you have a buddy who is a total fiend of a particular record, and finally gets a copy, dissects it and then plays it on the aforementioned badass component system pointing out every goddamn  nuance, it's going to make an impression. It did, and it stuck. So, last night when Walter White was gasping his last breath, I was reliving a moment with a friend and one of his white whales.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Badfinger - Baby Blue (LP version) mp3 at Cold Splinters
Badfinger - Baby Blue (US Single version) mp3 at Gaper's Blog
Badfinger - No Matter What mp3 at Snuhthing Anything 

No comments: