Thursday, June 6, 2013

AND THE LIST GETS LONGER

Man, I took a wrong turn at The Hound Blog last night, and I'm glad I did. I ran into the video below of Victoria Spivey, with the great Willie Dixon on bass. Now, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that, before last night, I knew anything about Spivey. I had never heard her name before. You know-it-alls pipe down, I'm trying to illustrate a point here. That is, that no matter how much music you've listened to, or how long you've been digging through back catalogs and artists associated with this person or that, there's always someone who will slip through the cracks. Victoria Spivey is my latest crack dwelling want list add on.



A quick look at cheater central tells me that she was born in 1907, and the video is from a UK TV program from 1963, so she was about 57 when it was filmed and there's a few things that I found striking. One is that she was a good looking 57 year old woman, something that she probably knows as evidenced by here multiple coy looks, winks and what not. Once I got past that, I noticed that besides having a pretty remarkable voice, she can really, really tickle the ivories. Yep, you know it, here we go again.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen
Victoria Spivey - Moanin' the Blues mp3 at African African 1929
Victoria Spivey - Dope Head Blues mp3 at Tom Siler 1927
Victoria Spivey and the Chicago Four - Detroit Moan mp3 at Archive.org 1936
Visit:
Victoria Spivey - Profile and discography at Red Hot Jazz 
Victoria Spivey at Wikipedia

No comments: