Monday, May 27, 2013

YARDBIRDS? NEVER HEARD OF 'EM.

Something funny is going on here. It's not unusual to borrow a guitar part here or there. That's how music evolves. But when a band borrows from another particular band twice in the same recording session, you gotta figure something's going on, even if not intentionally. The Yardbirds songs below were recorded in 1965 ("I'm Not Talkin'") and, I think, 1967 (Happenings Ten Years Time Ago"). The Iggy and the Stooges cuts were recorded around 1972. In London. Come to your own conclusions. Any way you look at it, whether it was intentional or coincidental, it's interesting. 

"I Gotta Right" and "I'm Not Talkin'" just share the first few bars, that's it. But "I'm Sick of You" and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" (I hate that title) share a significant guitar part. In "I'm Sick of You" it comes at 2:35, in "Happenings..." it's at :46. (That one was pointed out in a review I read years ago, either in Slash or Back Door Man.)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Iggy and the Stooges - I Gotta Right mp3 at Olcros (?)
The Yardbirds - I'm Not Talkin' mp3 at Yardbirds.us (?)
Iggy and the Stooges - I'm Sick of You mp3 at Olcros (?)
The Yardbirds - Happenings Ten Years Time Ago mp3 at X818

No comments: