Sunday, April 7, 2013

HELL YEAH, MAYBELLE

Hanging out with Sister Lady Spinsta yesterday, she commented on how she thought Thelma Jones' "The House That Jack Built" (from the Funky 16 Corners Bold Soul Sisters mix) beat Aretha Franklin's version. You have to know SLS to know what a statement that was. She has long been ape shit over Aretha, so giving another version of a song she covered the edge is not to be taken lightly. I thought I'd surprise her, so I went clicking like a crazy man, looking for more Thelma Jones stuff. With the exception of a reissued disco LP, I found exactly squat. But, on one of the posts with the disco LP, there was blurb about how she was mentored by Big Maybelle. Before I knew it I was ass deep in a Big Maybelle rabbit hole. Rather than blabbing on about her, I direct your attention to the first cut below, If there is a song that better epitomizes what I like about early fifties rhythm and blues, I haven't heard it. Her voice is something else, I mean, she belts. Have you ever heard a woman growl "Mmmmm"? It's not just that, the backing is top notch too. The guitar fills, the horns, hell even the tambourine, not to mention that hollow studio sounding production,...they don't make 'em like this anymore.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
Big Maybelle - Ocean of Tears mp3 at Probe is Turning-On the People
Big Maybelle - One Monkey Don't Stop No Show mp3 at Beware of the Blog 
Big Maybelle - Going Home mp3 at 78s
Big Maybelle - New Kind of Mambo mp3 at I Pick My Nose
Big Maybelle - Hair Dressin' Women mp3 at The Beiderbecke Affair
Big Maybelle - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (streaming) at YouTube
Big Maybelle - It's a Man's Man;'s World mp3 at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban
Big Maybelle - 96 Tears mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Visit:
Big Maybelle at Wikipedia

1 comment:

Athena Faramay said...

Wow. I'm loving your amazing page. Real and down. Great analysis of Lotti Golden. Yeah, she ripped his balls out and does it bad on "Motor-Cycle." I think of Lotti Golden and Amy Winehouse as similar souls.